What a wonderful and powerful worship experience we shared together last Sunday! I cannot give thanks enough for the many who were so bold and brave throughout this season to reflect on the word, share from the heart, or take up a role in one of the many gospel dramas. Iâ€™ve received feedback that having the stories acted out really brought them alive in a new way. Weâ€™ll surely do it again sometime!
A wonderful time to share your thoughts on the season would be this coming Thursday at our final Lenten lunch group. Bring your own sandwich, and Iâ€™ll have a few snacks on hand to share. We can reflect on what has been and what is yet to come as we approach Holy Week together.
I received word yesterday that the Holy Week ecumenical morning devotions at Good Shepherd have been cancelled this year. It was difficult to find leaders and churches able to assemble themselves at that early hour, though we do hope to bring them back next year. If you have feedback about the devotions that youâ€™d like to pass on to the clergy group, please let me know.
But there are still plenty of opportunities to mark the week, a few of which Iâ€™ve outlined below. May these rituals guide us meaningfully through faithâ€™s most difficult moments, that when we encounter them in our own lives, we recognize the path through them.
Palm & Passion Sunday
- 10:00 am – Sunday worship at UCU with communion, live-streamed and in person
- 5:00 pm – The Seven Last Words of Christ (voices and strings) by Franz Joseph Hayden, Richmond Congregational Church, in person
- 7:00 pm – Joint worship with communion at UCU, live-streamed and in person
- Ecumenical Good Friday walk, beginning at 12:30 pm at St. Thomas Church. UCU will be stop #3. Walk concludes at Catalyst Church on Raceway.
- UCU is not participating in an evening service, but there are several available.
- 7:00 pm at Good Shepherd Lutheran (in person only; see their website for details on a Zoom service to happen at another time).
- 7:00 pm at Shelburne UMC, Tenebrae Cantata
- Sunrise service (in person) at Catalyst Church on Raceway (this is not an ecumenical service, but Catalyst invites anyone to attend)
- 10:00 am – Easter worship at UCU, live-streamed and in person
- 11:00 am – Easter egg hunt at UCU for children through 2nd grade